My favorites brownies are from Prima’s Bakery, Chennai. My best friend, Archana used to get that every time she gets back to hostel after visiting her parents in Chennai. We both ate one or two a day and saved it as long as we could. Good old days!
I wanted to try brownies when I got my electric oven and looked for recipes in the Internet. There are so many available and you get so confused which one to try. So, I mixed up few recipes and tried my version. I didn’t have a proper baking tray or other baking equipments for beating/whipping the flour and eggs. So my first brownies came out like molten choco lava cake that we get in Dominos.
I used butter instead of oil and baked at 120 degrees for more than 45 minutes and hence it came out smudgy and oozy. Nevertheless, it tasted divine !
I got a square glass baking tray, silicone spatula and the measuring cups for the very purpose of getting the texture right and gave the next attempt. Voila ! the brownies came perfect in texture and I was so happy about the effort went in.
Okay, let me share the recipe I followed for my successful second attempt of baking brownies.
What you need:
- All purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Cocoa powder – 1/3 cup
- Chopped almonds – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 tbsp
- Orange zest – 2 tbsp
- Oil (I used normal cooking oil) – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Butter a square baking tray and keep aside.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Powder the sugar and mix it with the oil until dissolves.
- Break in the eggs and mix well with the silicone spatula.
- Add the vanilla extract and orange zest and give a mix.
- Sieve the dry ingredients, AP flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together.
- Now add the dry ingredients and the chopped nuts to the oil-sugar-egg mix and bring everything together. No need to beat much. Just blend all the ingredients together without any lumps.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking tray and bake for 40 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Insert a toothpick or a skewer and make sure it comes out clean.
- Cool it for at least 20 minutes on a wire rack. I left it overnight.
- Cut into equal squares with a pizza cutter or really sharp knife so that you get the edges right.
Your brownies are ready to be served. This will stay good for 2-3 days when kept in an air-tight container in a cool and dry place. As you all know, it is best when served hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can micr0wave the brownies for a minute before you do so.
Now, see below my second attempt. I have got the texture right, right?
- If you are using an electric oven, keep the baking tray at the lower rack and bake for 30 minutes with two coils mode. If you feel that your top layer of brownies is burning because of heat from the upper coil, change to lower coil mode.
- You can also use chopped walnuts or mixture of almonds and walnuts.
- Also, you can replace refined white sugar with brown sugar.
If you are a beginner at baking, try this easy recipe of brownies. If you are pro, never mind, you can give it a try too!