These days,Amma is been suggesting some recipes that catches her attention on YouTube. She is like “try that thokku from Sarasu’s samayal; muruku is easy to do at home, follow Revathy Shanmugham’s channel..“. She has her own list of favorite cookery channels now and keeps trying recipes out of her comfort zone like stove top biscuits.
This recipe is from one such YouTube channel Chitra Murali’s kitchen.
What you need
- Curry leaves – 3 handfuls
- Toor dhal – 1.5 tbsp
- Urad dhal – 1 tbsp
- Black Pepper – 2 tbsp
- Cumin – 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Dry red chilies – 1
- Dry ginger/Sukku – one inch piece
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Hing/ Perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash and dry curry leaves in shade.
- Roast the leaves in a kadai until crisp and be careful not to burn them.
- Add toor dhal, urad dhal, coriander seeds, black pepper and dry red chilies and roast them until they turn aromatic and slight brown. I didn’t have sukku, so I skipped that.
- Switch off the stove and add cumin, hing and salt and give a roast in the kadai.
- Cool them a bit and grind everything together in a mixie jar.
- Store in an airtight container.
I like podi on Uthapams than with rice. That roasted podi on the uthapam with onions when had with chutney/sambar tastes divine!